Thursday, May 8, 2008

Want Your Antivirus Software to Run Faster? Defrag!

If you’re like me, you don’t think about desktop maintenance for your home computer (like system backups, defragmenting the disk, etc.). One system maintenance activity I do regularly, however, is antivirus scans. To be honest, I only do those because the clever software vendor designed the application to automatically do a virus scan on a weekly basis when installed.

I noticed my antivirus scans taking longer and longer to run. Then I found this little gem on ZDNet: Antivirus Software and Disk Defragmentation. The white paper is written by a company that produces and sells Diskeeper – and application that handles file and free space fragmentation on your desktop. It describes how the company conducted research with 4 popular anti-virus scan applications, including Symantec Antivirus 2003, McAfee Pro 7.02, Trend Micro PC-cillin 10.03, and Panda Titanium Antivirus 2004.

The results? Run-time of the anti-virus scan improved 20% - 55% on systems that were defrag’d, lowering scan times by 17-58 minutes. Neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment